AKYEM ODA CONCERNED CITIZENS ASSOCIATION
We the youth and citizens of Akim Oda, a pressure group on social media platform have come together in order to foster solidarity and fraternity, to provide the general welfare, healthy intellectual advancement of members and to operate with other institutions and bodies elsewhere, to promote cordial and perfect relationship amongst all Akim Oda citizens living everywhere, do hereby enact and give to ourselves the article of this constitution as the basic principle backing the Association.
ARTICLE 1: NAME AND ADDRESS
The association shall be known and called Akyem Oda Concerned Citizens Association at Akim Oda.
ARTICLE 2: AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The aims and objectives of the Association are as follows:
- To foster friendship among members of the Association.
- To share ideas among members intellectually and socially.
- To mobilize and form a formidable group irrespective of the differences in political affiliations.
- To assist members financially, spiritually and emotionally.
- To positively influence individual conduct.
- To inspire the youth who are mainly students in tertiary institutions to take their studies seriously to become good sons and daughters of Akim Oda.
- To assist the Municipal Chief Executive, the Member of Parliament, the Assembly Members, the chiefs and people of Akim Oda and other stakeholders in developing and uplifting the image of Akim Oda.
- To liaise with the community and other stakeholders to help shape the future of the youth in Akim Oda.
- To pursue any other aim, which is reasonably connected or incidental to the foregoing.
ARTICLE 3: MEMBERSHIP
Membership shall comprise the youth who live in and around AkimOda and must have completed all the necessary membership registration formalities and must have a membership card.
There shall be three membership categories:
- a) Regular Membership is open to all Akim Oda citizens
- b) Honorary Membership is by recommendation of the leadership of the Association of anyone who has helped to uplift the image of Akim Oda and has identified himself with the tenets and traditions of the association and the community.
- c) Associate Membership is conferred on anyone who through contributions and other acts renders special assistance to the association.
ARTICLE 4: RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITY OF MEMBERS
- All members shall enjoy equal benefits irrespective of level of class, colour, race, creed, tribe or nationality.
- All members shall be responsible to the Association as enshrined in the preamble of the constitution.
- All members shall pay membership dues as will be agreed upon at association’s general meeting.
- Every individual member shall have one vote at general meetings.
- All members shall attend meetings at least twice in a year per our quarterly meetings with the exception of those living in abroad.
- There shall be silver collection by members at every meeting as form of providing financial base and supporting other activities.
ARTICLE 5: PATRONS
Patrons of the Association shall be:
- The chiefs and people of Akim Oda
- The patrons shall act as advisors to the Association.
ARTICLE 6: OFFICERS/EXECUTIVES AND THEIR DUTIES
SECTION 1: The executives of the Association shall comprise of the following:
- Vice President
- General Secretary
- Financial Secretary
- Organizing Secretary
- Public Relations Officer
- Two Executive Members
SECTION 2: DUTIES OF THE EXECUTIVES
- Shall preside over all meetings and shall direct the affairs of the Association.
- Shall represent the Association at functions or meetings that the Association has been invited to
- Shall act as spokesperson for the Association when necessary
VICE PRESIDENT: Shall act on behalf of the president in his absence and perform other duties that may be assigned to him by the executive.
- Shall keep records of all matters concerning the Association.
- Shall record and read minutes at meetings.
- Shall handle the correspondence of Akyem Oda Concerned Citizens Association and take such action on as may be directed by the executive committee or the President or in special circumstances act on his own initiative and report at a subsequent meeting.
- Shall perform all other duties of secretarial and public relations nature as may be assigned to him by the exec
- Shall prepare and present quarterly and annual statements of account and balance sheet as soon as possible at the end of the stated period.
- Shall hand over all monies or funds reaching him to the treasurer.
- Shall keep the savings book of the Association.
- Shall pay all monies handed over to him to the Association’s Bank Accounts and hand over all books of accounts requested for by the Financial Secretary for the preparation of accounts.
- Shall keep an imprest determined by the executive for the running of the day-to-day affairs of the association.
- Shall be responsible for organizing all the Association’s Social activities, excursions, educational trips, seminars etc.
- Shall perform other functions as may be delegated to him by the executive.
PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
- Shall act as the official spokesperson of the Association.
- Perform any other responsibilities as may be assigned by president or executive committee.
- Make effective publicity and advertisement of the association.
ARTICLE 7: TENURE, ELECTION AND REMOVAL OF OFFICERS
SECTION 1: TENURE OF OFFICE AND ELECTIONS
- Election of officers shall take place every two years.
- Officers shall hold office for two years and shall be eligible for re-election for another term of office, subject to the full completion of their term.
- Elections shall be by nomination and secret voting at a general meeting.
SECTION 2: REMOVAL OF OFFICERS
An officer or member of the executive council, found to be negligent of his duties or proof of misdemeanors or gross misconduct shall be removed from office, upon a motion by a member, supported by two others and through voting by 2/3 of members present at a general meeting.
NOTE: The executive council shall sit with the patrons on such a motion before presenting the case to the house for voting.
ARTICLE 8: CONDUCT OF MEETINGS:
SECTION 1: QUORUM
- The quorum for general meetings shall be TWENTY (20) or more of the membership.
- General meetings shall be held once in every three months, of every year making it four times in year.
SECTION 2: EMERGENCY MEETINGS:
- Emergency meetings, which shall be called for stated purpose(s), shall be summoned by the President at his discretion or upon the request of majority or at least one third of the members.
- At least a day notice shall be required for an emergency meeting.
SECTION 3: EXECUTIVE MEETINGS:
Executive meetings shall be held with a quorum of half of membership.
Absence of quorum for a meeting shall call for a re-schedule.
All decisions taken by the executive and accepted by half the membership at a regular meeting shall be binding.
ARTICLE 9: FINANCE:
SECTION 1: FUNDING:
The Association shall be funded by:
- Donation and Aids
- Voluntary contributions by individuals
- Returns from investments
- Fund raising activities
- Silver collections at meetings
SECTION 2: PAYMENT OF DUES:
- Monthly dues shall be paid to the treasurer on the last day of every month, of which a penalty of 20% shall be surcharged after failing to pay on the said date.
- Each member shall ensure that payment are entered in his membership card or dues book and duly initialed by the treasurer.
SECTION 3: BANKERS AND TRUSTEES.
- The GCB Bank shall be the Bankers of the Association. However, a bank to be of convenience for business for the Association, shall also be considered as the association’s banker, when the need for it arises.
- The President, General Secretary and Financial Secretary shall be the trustees of the Association.
III. Any two of the above trustees shall be signatories to cheque for withdrawals from the Bank.
SECTION 4: SPECIAL CONTRIBUTIONS:
The Association shall with a collective decision of it members organize special appeal collections.
ARTICLE 10: BENEFITS
In times of marriage, birth of a new baby, bereavement (father, mother, spouse and child) etc.,a member shall be given a parcel and an amount of
- GH₵10.00for Bereavement (father, mother, spouse and child)
- GH₵5.00 for Marriage and Birth of a new baby
However, contributions will be restricted to only two births as in the case of the birth of a child and the Association shall also be present.
This article shall only be operational after a person’s active membership after a period of six (6) months.
ARTICLE 11: DISCIPLINARY MEASURES:
SECTION 1: A member shall loose all his benefits if as at the time of need; he is in three month arrears in the payment of his monthly dues.
SECTION 2: SANCTIONS:
Any member, who misconducts himself during meetings or brings the Association into disrepute, through any form of misdemeanor or misconduct, shall be sanctioned as follows:
Suspension, not less than two months.
- NB. A suspended member shall continue to pay dues and all other levies.
ARTICLE 12: AMENDMENT OF CONSTITUTION
The constitution shall be amended in whole or part by a request through writing by any member or group of members to the executive council, stating reasons for the change or amendments. The appeal or suggestion shall be considered by the executive and presented to a general meeting of the Association.
Final decision on amendment shall result from voting by two thirds (2/3) of the total membership of the Association.
ARTICLE 13: RESIGNATION
Any member of the Association who wishes to resign from his post or membership from the Association shall submit a letter of resignation to the patrons, through the General Secretary, stating his reasons for resignation.
The patrons shall consult the member on the matter and upon collective agreement; the President shall announce the issue to the members at a general meeting.
ARTICLE 14: COMMITTEES
There shall be a five (5) member standing committee of FINANCE, WELFARE AND PROJECTS. Membership shall only be of one’s willingness. There shall however be adhoc committees to be set up apart from the standing ones as and when the need arises.
14.1 FINANCE COMMITTEE
The Finance Committee shall draw up plans, budgets and activities to raise money for the association in all of its projects and activities. They shall report to the Executive Committee and the General House. Decisions taken shall be agreed upon at a general meeting.
14.2 WELFARE COMMITTEE
The Welfare committee shall be solely responsible for the welfare programs and packages for members in the event of their needs. They shall report to the Executives and The house. Their decisions shall be final on the approval of the General House.
14.3 PROJECT COMMITTEE
The Project Committee shall, with their chairman, plan, coordinate, evaluate and implement projects and major activities of the association. They are responsible to the Executives and the House.
ARTICLE 15: PROMULGATION
This constitution is adopted this………………day of……………………… In the year of our Lord, Two Thousand and Sixteen (2016)
GENERAL SECRETARY …………………………